Peace poppies photograph -

Description:
This photograph shows members of the Co-operative Women?s Guild (CWG) holding a wreath of white poppies in the mid-1930s. The white poppy was introduced by the Guild in 1933 as a pacifist alternative to the red poppy produced by the Royal British Legion for Remembrance Day. The Peace Pledge Union (founded in 1934) soon took over production. The CWG was founded in 1883 to ?educate women in the principles and practices of Co-operation and to work for the improvement of the status of women.? It has long been involved in a number of political campaigns, of which its anti-militarist and anti-nuclear ones are probably the best known.
Production Date:
c1933
ID no:
BGATE_Co-operative Collection/27
Maker:
Women's Co-operative Guild
Copyright:
Bishopsgate Institute

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?