Cricket Grounds and Clubs

There are two major cricket grounds in London; Lords Cricket Ground in St John's Wood which was first established in 1787 and The Oval international cricket ground in Kennington which was established in 1845.

Lords

First established in 1787, Lords Cricket Ground in St John's Wood is owned by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC). The current ground is its third location. Members of the club are permitted to watch matches from the Long Room, a paintings gallery with a view of the notoriously sloping pitch.

The pavilion with its famous Long Room was built in 1889-90. Much of the ground was re-built in the late 20th century. In 1987 the Mound Stand was opened followed by the Grand Stand in 1994. In 1998-9 the Media Centre was added and won The Royal Institute for British Architects Sterling Prize.

Lords is home to the oldest sporting museum in the world with a collection of the world's most celebrated cricket memorabilia including The Ashes (an urn, satirically signifying the death of British cricket after their defeat by Australia in 1882).

One of the most distinctive features is that the ground itself has a significant slope across the field. The north-east side of the pitch is eight feet (about 2.4 metres) higher than the south-east side.

Lords holds Test Matches, One-Day Internationals, Middlesex home matches, Marylebone Cricket Club matches and twenty20 games (a shorter than normal match designed to help cricket appeal to new fans).

The first Test Match was played at Lord's in 1884 when England defeated Australia by an innings and five runs. Since then over a hundred Test Matches have been played at Lords. Lords typically hosts two Tests every summer. This includes the first Test of the summer and two one-day internationals.

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?