John Barnes Department store, 1950s

Description:
The popular North London department store John Barnes was opened in 1900 on Finchley Road, when there were very few shops in the area. The present building was erected in the 1930s in the ocean-liner style, and was purchased by John Lewis partnership in 1940. The name was not changed from John Barnes, however, and was an important shopping destination for Northwest London until the opening of Brent Cross shopping centre in the 1970s. In 1981, the department store was shut for good, and the ground floor converted to a Waitrose supermarket.
Production Date:
1950
ID no:
HAMP_1995.90.10
Object Size:
Height: 15cm, Length: 20cm
Maker:
J. Mainwaring
Copyright:
Hampstead Museum
Object Material:
Photographic paper

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?