'Tombstone' style station name roundel sign from Hillingdon (Swakeleys) station - station name sign

Description:
The Underground station of Hillingdon (Swakeleys) is on the most north western stretch of the Metropolitan and Piccadilly line. It opened in 1923 under the name of Hillingdon. In 1934, the word Swakeleys was added. It refers to a housing development in the area that was owned by the Swalecliffe family. New signs made for existing stations from this time had a more old-fashioned look. The newly built stations designed by Holden were given modern bronze-framed signage.
Production Date:
1934
ID no:
LTM_1994/673
Maker:
Commissioner : London Passenger Transport Board
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?