The statue of Eros in the workshop - photograph

Description:
The statue of Eros on Piccadilly Circus is officially part of the Shaftsbury memorial. Really, the statue isn't of eros at all, but represents the Angel of Christian Charity. It was erected in 1893 to commemorate the philanthropic work of the Earl of Shaftsbury. The statue was removed in 1922 for the reconstruction of the Piccadilly Circus Underground station. It was temporarily set up in the Victoria Embankment Gardens. It is pictured in the workshop A B Burton, Bronze Statuary Founder, in Thames Ditton, Surrey, where it was sent for cleaning before being returned to Piccadilly Circus in 1931.
Production Date:
27 Dec 1931
ID no:
LTM_1998/76880
Maker:
Photographer : Topical Press
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?