Original Underground station at Euston - photograph

Description:
The original Underground station at Euston was designed by architect Sidney Smith as the northern terminus for the City and South London Railway Line, part of the extension from Angel. This station opened on 12 May 1907. Shortly after this, in June 1907, the nearby Leslie Green-designed station building also became a major interchange on the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway. These two buildings were linked by a joint ticket hall below ground. The two separate railway lines were merged to form the Northern line in the mid-1920s. The building at the junction of Eversholt Street and Doric Way shown in this photo was demolished in 1934 and Euston House, the headquarters of the British Railways Board, now stands on this site.
Production Date:
1907 - 1910
ID no:
LTM_1998/84528
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?