The Aldenham Works soon after opening - photograph

Description:
The London Transport site at Aldenham had originally been bought for the Northern line. The line was to be continued from the terminus at Edgware out to Bushey in Hertfordshire. The site was used for an aircraft factory during the Second World War and the Northern line extension plan was finally dropped in 1949. It was decided to redevelop the site. The existing buildings were extended and converted into a bus overhaul works. The post-war standardisation of the London Transport fleet allowed maintenance along modern production line principles. Because all buses now had the same bodies and engines, work could be carried out on a number of buses at once. Several engineers could focus on specific parts of the engine rather than a single engineer working on a single bus at a time. The ultra-modern Aldenham Works, pictured here, was opened in 1955 to carry out body maintenance. Engine work was carried out at Chiswick.
Production Date:
1956
ID no:
LTM_1998/86151
Maker:
Photographer : John Somerset Murray
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?