The Prince's Club, Knightsbridge - drawing; ink; watercolour

Description:
The Princes Club was a members-only sports and health establishment for gentlemen. It first opened in 1854 on a site now occupied by Hans Place. Following a two-year closure it re-established itself in 1888 at 197 Knightsbridge. The Princes Club offered two tennis courts and two rackets (later squash) courts; two bowling alleys, a Turkish bath, various clubrooms and an Oak Room. The club enjoyed royal patronage and its courts hosted a number of famous tennis matches. Margaret Hall recorded the premises in the mid-1940s, just before the building was demolished to make way for flats.
Production Date:
1940-1950
ID no:
MoL_82.673/7
Object Size:
26.5 x 43.2 cm
Maker:
Hall, M. P.
Copyright:
© Digital image Museum of London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?