bellows; watchcase makers foot bellows

Description:
The Oliver family of watchcase-makers used these bellows in its Clerkenwell workshop. They were last used by Richard J Oliver (1904-89), the fourth generation of his family to become a watchcase-maker. He joined the firm at 31 Wynyatt Street, Clerkenwell in 1920. In 1941, the business moved to a larger workshop at 25 Spencer Street and, in 1949, Richard took over the business from his father. He remained at Spencer Street until 1971, when compulsory purchase by Islington council forced the sale of part of the workshop.
Production Date:
1920-1945
ID no:
MoL_86.417/42
Object Size:
overall: 415 x 280 x 425 mm
Maker:
Fletcher Russell & Company Ltd
Copyright:
© Museum of London
Object Material:
iron alloy (o) & wood & leather

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?