Warehouse in St Mary Overy's Dock, Clink Street - Photographic Print

Description:
This warehouse in St Mary Overy's Dock belonged to the wharfingers of Clink Wharf Limited. Their registered office was at 52 Leadenhall Street, but they operated from Clink Street alongside Pickfords, Horseshoe and Winchester Wharves. These wharves, between Southwark Bridge and London Bridge, handled canned goods, sugar, dried fruit and general cargoes. In the 1960s, as larger container vessels moved to the enclosed docks and deep-water wharves that could accommodate them downriver, old wharves increasingly closed to business. Edwin Smith photographed this desolate warehouse before it was demolished.
Production Date:
1931-1970
ID no:
MoL_IN7718
Maker:
Smith, Edwin
Copyright:
�� Edwin Smith/RIBA Library

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?