Ilford Trolleybus c.1956

Description:
No. 1754 (Jo'Burg) in Thorold Road, Ilford. The tramway system was replaced during the late 1930's by the trolleybus. The last Ilford tram was replaced by 1939. New trolleybuses had been ordered for service in South Africa but the manufacturer could not deliver them because of the outbreak of war. The buses were then allocated to Ilford. The vehicles were wider than the standard trolleybuses and had tinted glass because of the anticipated South African sun. All local trolleybuses were replaced by motor buses by 1962.
Production Date:
1956
ID no:
REDLS_14951
Maker:
Hallmark Roy
Copyright:
Redbridge Local Studies

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?