Terms and Conditions
This is the website of the Exploring 20th Century London partnership, managed by the Museum of London ("the Museum of London") of 150 London Wall London EC2Y 5EA. Telephone 0870 7444 3852, email [email protected]
"Website" means the Exploring 20th century London website currently located at Exploring 20th century London
"We / us" means the Exploring 20th century London partnership
"You" means a user of the Website
"Users" means collectively users of the Website
"Partners" means London’s Transport Museum, Jewish Museum, London and Croydon Museum and Heritage Service.
Terms and conditions of use
By using the Website you agree to be bound by the "Terms and Conditions of Use".
If you are uncertain as to your rights or require any explanation about them please email us.
The Museum of London is committed to the highest standard and quality of information and every attempt has been made to present up-to-date accurate information. However, the Museum of London gives no warranty as to the accuracy of the information on the Website.
The Museum of London shall not be liable for any losses or damages arising from your use of the Website, including reliance on information contained on the Website, other than in respect of death or personal injury caused by our negligence or in respect of fraud.
The Museum of London may make changes to the material on the Website at any time without notice.
Although the Museum of London takes all reasonable measures to ensure that the information provided to it from third parties is accurate and not defamatory or offensive it cannot control the content or take responsibility for pages maintained by external providers or linked pages.
Terms & conditions of use of the website of the Exploring 20th Century London partnership , managed by the Museum of London
1.1 In accessing information from the Website you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions of Use as set out below.
1.2 These Terms and Conditions of Use may change from time to time. Please check our Website frequently to see recent changes. The date when these Terms and Conditions of Use were last updated will be displayed. If you do not agree to any change you should not continue to use the Website.
1.3 The Website contains proprietary notices and copyright information the terms of which you agree to observe and follow.
2.1 You assume full responsibility for the protection of your computer system including computer hardware, software and stored data on your computer system including hardware, software and stored data of third parties who may access or be otherwise connected to your computer system. You will assume the responsibility of ensuring that programs or other data downloaded or otherwise received from this Website are free from viruses, worms, Trojan horses or other items of a destructive nature. We would advise you to run an up-to-date anti-virus program on anything you download from the Internet.
2.2 You must take reasonable precautions to prevent the fraudulent use of your security details including password and must notify the Museum of London in the event that you suspect a third party has obtained your security details.
2.3 In accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 the Museum of London will take reasonable steps to ensure that data transmitted electronically to the Museum of London via the Website or otherwise and stored by the Museum of London is not accessed by unauthorised third parties. You accept the risk that data transmitted electronically to the Museum of London via the Website or otherwise may be intercepted before reaching the Museum of London or accessed from the Museum of London's data storage by third parties not authorised by the Museum of London and may be exploited unlawfully by such unauthorised third parties.
2.4 The Museum of London makes no representations as to the security, quality or propriety of any website which may be accessed through the Website and accepts no liability for the content or for any loss or damage caused or alleged to have been caused by the use of or reliance on information contained in such websites or goods or services purchased from them. Connected websites accessed through the Website are independent websites over which the Museum of London does not exercise any control whether financial, editorial or of any other kind and are not in any way endorsed by the Museum of London.
Information contained in the Website may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical mistakes and should not be relied on as totally accurate. Information may be changed or updated without notice and any queries relating to the information including queries as to its currency and accuracy should be addressed to us via email. For general content queries relating to the Website email us.
4. Warranty and liability
4.1 All information made available from within the Website is provided "as is" for information purposes only and should not be relied on as totally accurate. See Disclaimer.
4.2 The Museum of London will only be liable to you for any losses resulting from the use of the Website in the following circumstances:-
(a) where the losses are suffered as a result of the Museum of London breaking any term of the Conditions of Use; or
(b) where there is a breach of a legal duty of care owed to you by the Museum of London or any employees or agents of the Museum of London; and
(c) provided the losses are a foreseeable consequence of the Museum of London breaking the Conditions of Use; losses are foreseeable where they could be contemplated by the User and the Museum of London at the time the Website is made available to the User.
4.3 The Museum of London will not be liable for:
(a) indirect losses which happen as a side effect of the main loss or damage and which are not foreseeable;
(b) any increase in loss or damage resulting from breach by you of any term of the Conditions of Use;
(c) any loss or damage resulting from the use of any other website connected to the Website by means of a hypertext link or any other link;
(d) any loss of profits or other economic loss resulting from the use of the Website for business purposes.
4.4 The Museum of London accepts no responsibility whatsoever for any data corruption, interception or delay or any inaccuracies or errors that may occur resulting from the use of the Website.
4.5 Nothing in these terms shall exclude the Museum of London's liability for death or personal injury arising from the negligence of the Museum of London, its employees, agents or contractors resulting from the use of the Website.
4.6 The Museum of London publishes the images and information on the Website in good faith. The Museum of London will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that all intellectual property rights are respected and that the information and images are accurate and neither defamatory nor offensive.
5. Copyright etc
5.1 The Website belongs in all respects to the Museum of London.
5.2 All intellectual property rights in all material on the Website including copyright, database right, first publication rights, patents, registered trade marks, know-how, intellectual or industrial property rights including format, art direction, look and feel and content subsisting throughout the World shall vest in the Museum of London and other copyright owners as specified.
5.3 None of the data or content found on the Website may be reproduced, published, distributed, posted or transferred modified or linked to another website without the express written permission of the Museum of London (or its partners where appropriate). Any trade mark, logo, crest or other identifiable emblem of the Museum of London shall remain the property of the Museum of London at all times and no licence or right to use any of the same shall be granted or implied in any way.
5.4 Users may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, reproduce, publish, licence or create derivative works or sell any information obtained from the Website. Users may download information or images for private non-commercial viewing purposes only unless permitted for the purpose of making an offer appropriate to the goods or services required.
5.5 All images and text are subject to copyright protection.
5.6 The Museum of London is committed to respecting the intellectual property rights of others and has taken all reasonable efforts to trace the copyright owners of images and obtain permissions for reproductions in this Website.
5.7 In the event that any of the un-traceable copyright owners come forward after the publication of this Website, the Museum of London or its partners will endeavour to rectify the position accordingly.
Any queries in this respect should be addressed to:
The Project Manager
Exploring 20th Century London
Museum of London
London EC2Y 5HN
tel: 020 7814 5587
fax: 0870 444 3853
Or email enquiries to [email protected]
6. Availability of the Website
6.1 The Museum of London will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure the availability of the Website and that transmissions are error free. However, due to the nature of the Internet it is not technically possible for the Museum of London to provide a completely fault free service and the Museum of London gives no guarantees or warranties express or implied as to the quality or reliability of access to the Website.
6.2 The Museum of London reserves the right to suspend or cancel the Website or refuse access to it immediately and without notice in order to maintain, repair or update the Website or if it is necessary for legal reasons. However, the Museum of London will where possible give notice of any suspension or cancellation on the Website.
The failure by the Museum of London to enforce any term or condition hereof shall not be deemed as a waiver of the right to enforce such term or condition.
The Website is situated in London England and all the Terms and Conditions of Use shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
In the event of any queries about how to use the Website, please email us.
Privacy and data protection statement
This is the current Privacy and Data Protection Statement for the Exploring 20th century London website. If this Privacy Statement is revised an updated version will be placed on the Website.
Policy and personal data
1. The Museum of London will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that your privacy is protected.
2. The personal data collected by the Museum of London will be evaluated periodically to determine whether it should continue to hold such data. Subject to any legal retention requirements, e.g. VAT regulations require appropriate financial records to be retained for six years, you may notify the Museum of London if you do not wish data to be continually held by the Museum of London. You may also request details of your personal data held by the Museum of London.
3. Please click here for "Individual requests for information after January 2005".
4. The Museum of London does not intend to export User data outside the European Union and will only be storing the information supplied together with details of the activities you have undertaken with the Museum of London and mailings that have been sent.
5. The Museum of London may provide aggregate statistics about, website usage and related site information on the Website and also provide statistics to Central Government, Government agencies and other public bodies, but these will not include any personally identifying information. Please note in particular that statistical records are maintained of pages visited by Users whether or not they have registered.
6. The Museum of London may monitor user traffic on an aggregate basis in order to help it develop and improve the Website for the benefit of all Users.
7. You are advised that the Internet is not a secure medium. The Museum of London will use reasonable endeavours to keep your information confidential. Internal procedures cover the storage access and disclosure of your information. The Museum of London will not sell or pass your information on to any third parties without first obtaining your consent.
Transmission of data outside the EU
9. Because the Internet infrastructure is global and it is not possible to predict the routes that information sent over the Internet will take, the information you provide may be transferred temporarily via a route which takes it outside the European Economic Area as it passes between you and the Museum of London. By submitting your information you consent to this transfer.
10. The Museum of London may disclose personal information if required to do so by Law or in good faith believes it is required to do so by any order of the Courts or other competent body or agency or may do so to protect or defend the rights or property of the Museum of London or to protect the personal safety of the Museum of London's employees or the public at large.
11. The Exploring 20th Century London website has links to other websites which will have different privacy, trading and use policies and conditions and you should familiarise yourself with the same.
12. The Museum of London uses all reasonable endeavours to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the following principles:
(1) Personal data should be processed fairly and lawfully. This means that individuals should not be deceived or misled into supplying information.
(2) Data should only be obtained for a specified purpose and should not be used for any other purpose.
(3) Personal data should be adequate relevant and not excessive in relation to its purpose.
(4) Personal data should be accurate and up to date where necessary.
(5) Personal data should not be kept longer than is needed for its intended purpose.
(6) Personal data should be processed in accordance with the rights of the individual which the information concerns.
(7) Appropriate measures should be taken against unlawful processing or destruction of records. Computer systems should have back up facilities and security provisions.
(8) Personal data should not be transferred outside the European Economic Area (the EU states plus Lichtenstein, Iceland and Norway).
See the Museum of London's "Freedom of Information Page" which provides Users with guidance about their rights of access to information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Data Protection Act 1998.
For more information on the Data Protection Act 1998, you can call (UK) 01625 545 700.
A cookie is a text-only string of information that a website transfers to the cookie file of the browser on your computer's hard disk so that the website can remember who you are.
A cookie will typically contain the name of the domain from which the cookie has come, the "lifetime" of the cookie, and a value, usually a randomly generated unique number.
One type of cookie used on this Website:
Session Cookies - which are temporary cookies that remain in the cookie file of your browser until you leave the Website.
Find out more about cookies.
To allow you to log in.
To allow you to vote in a survey.
To allow you to view a document.
15. Disabling / Enabling Cookies
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features of the Website if cookies are disabled.
Find out how to disable / enable cookies.