Wasps FC

Wasps Football Club was founded in 1867 by a group of players in the Eton and Middlesex Tavern in north London. Just four years later the Rugby Football Union (RFU) was established with the purpose of governing the laws of the game. As an established club, Wasps were eligible to join this meeting. Unfortunately, Wasps' representative turned up at the wrong place on the wrong day and so, despite being invited, the club did not become a founding member of the RFU.

The club played their first matches in Finchley Road but subsequently moved between various London grounds. In 1923 the club bought their first ground in Sudbury.

Following the move to Sudbury, Wasps enjoyed a period of considerable success - in the 1930-31 season the club were undefeated, scoring 530 points against 76. During this time, the club captain was Ronnie Sawyer. Fully committed to the game and the club, Sawyer played in all but three matches for Wasps between 1920 and 1934.

Wasps continued playing during the Second World War and opened its membership to all players for a small subscription fee. This helped those clubs whose grounds had been requisitioned and were unable to host any matches.

In 1986 and 1987 Wasps reached the John Player Cup Final, losing to Bath on both occasions. In the 1990s the club became English National Champions and went on to play in the Courage Challenge Cup (the forerunner to the European Cup) and beat Racing Club de France 23-13 in the Final.

Wasps became a professional club in the mid 1990s. Initially the club suffered from a period of financial instability, but were fortunate to recover - other teams were less fortunate and a number of London clubs went into administration. An amateur side, 'Wasps F.C.' broke away from the new professional 'London Wasps', but both clubs now enjoy a close relationship.

Alternate Names

  • London Wasps

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?